What is DiverseTraveller.com?
Diverse Traveller is about sharing travel experiences, through writing, photography, videos, and tips. Sharing, especially travel experiences is a great way to break the ice, and I have made many good friends this way.
Diverse Traveller provides diverse women (travellers plus those dreaming about travelling) with an online forum to share diverse travel experiences from around the UK and abroad; primarily through structured, short travel stories, 900 words maximum.
Diverse Traveller is not just for the solo traveller, it is for ALL women travellers. It doesn't matter who you travel with or how you travel, I want you to share your travel experience to inspire other women to travel the world around them and beyond.
Who is behind Diverse Traveller?
DiverseTraveller.com is owned, published edited and managed by me...Ola Fagbohun (twitter: diversetraveler). Alongside a handful of wonderful volunteers.
I am not a professional travel editor, journalist or writer.
Like you, I am a woman passionate about travel, travelling, and trying to find my way through the travel writing maze.
The travel-bug bite me hard when I was ten years old, while on a school trip away to the Isle of White.
Although I am a long way from that girl of ten, travel (U.K. & abroad) has shaped who I am, and provided me with the inspiration and desire to set up and run Diverse Traveller.
Who are Diverse Travellers?
* reside in the UK (93%) [survey of U.K. based women only]
* aged 25-44 years old (41%) [30% aged 35-44 years]
* single (46%) [39% married or living together]
* holds a first degree (48%)
* do not have children (84%) [11% have children aged under 16 years]
* work full-time (73%) [16% are self employed]
* regularly (41%) visit the Daily Telegraph Destinations Travel Show
* visit Diverse Traveller to read personal travel stories by other women (59%).
* promote by word of mouth - nearly one in five (18%) visited DT.com as a result of a referral or a link from a friend.
* love to travel abroad, getting away 3-4 times a year (41%), mostly with a spouse or partner (38%) [24% travel alone].
* travel around the UK 1-2 times a year (34%), again travelling with a spouse or partner [12% travel with female friends]... and there's more.
Source: Diverse Traveller Reader Survey 2008 /9. Based on 296 readers.
What next for Diverse Traveller?
Firstly, I want to thank everyone who has and continues to help me keep Diverse Traveller going. I'm not exaggerating when I say without my revolving army of volunteers, Diverse Traveller would have become a distant memory.
But, as I know only to well life often gets in the way, and in the last year, I have had to say a find farewell to several staff (volunteers and staff).
It is now time to overhaul this website. While it has served me well for six years it is now no longer meeting the needs of my readers and ontributors. So after months of research and chatting with readers, contributors and volunteers, regarding design and content, I have decided to stop adding new content until I have a new website.
But that shouldn't stop you from taking a look around, it's still a great destination for unique and inspiring travel stories and features.
Thank you for visiting and please stay in touch
Anything published on DiverseTraveller by DiverseTraveller authors and / contributors is subject to Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.0 UK: England & Wales, UK: Scotland and the United States licence.